You’ve got the sweetest dog in the world, but do you know what would be even sweeter? Cookies that look just like them! These custom cookie cutters are easy to make with a template from Dog Breed Cartoon, and you can also use them to make dog-themed biscuits, eggs, finger sandwiches, pancakes and more!
What You’ll Need For This Project:
- Disposable Aluminum Cake Pans (the longer, the better. Find in any dollar store or supermarket.)
- Rolling Pin
- Print-out from Dog Breed Cartoon
Step #1 – Print
Select your dog’s breed in the Dog Breed Cartoon shop, and print it out to your desired size, 3-5 inches works best.
Step #2 – Cut
Trim the edges on a baking sheet so you’re left with just the bottom, then use a rolling pin to flatten any ridges.
Step #3 – Make strips
Use a ruler to mark 2″ strips from the center of the pan.
Step #4 – Fold edges
Fold strips lengthwise towards the center so no sharp edges are exposed. One strip can create a small cookie cutter. You can join multiple strips with glue or tape, or by cutting a tab on one end, a slit in the other, and joining the sides together. Flatten strips with rolling pin.
Step #5 – Shape
Use the template to shape the strip into the shape of your dog. Start at the center bottom, at the paws. Roll the strip against your finger to create rounded edges, pinch to create sharp corners.
Step #6 – Finish
Unfold one end, then insert the other side, then refold to secure the ends. You can also secure the ends together by creating a tab and slit, then inserting the tab into the slit and folding it over. Super glue can also be used to secure the ends, though it must be completely dry before you start making cookies.
Dog Cookie Recipe
This recipe omits leavenings like baking soda so your cookies will not spread, resulting in crisp edges. You’ll get a crumbly, biscuit-like cookie that’s perfect for topping with chocolate or icing.
- 1 cup cold cubed, unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups bleached, all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Chocolate or icing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 Celsius)
- Use a mixer to cream the butter and sugar together. Do not overmix, you want the butter to remain cold. Add eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and salt.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Dough will be dry. Mix until dough forms a ball and pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Roll out dough on parchment paper. Avoid using extra flour for dusting, you likely won’t need it.
- Using your new doggy cookie cutters, create shapes and place on a greased baking sheet, or line with parchment paper or silicone baking liner.
- If decorating with sprinkles, add sprinkles before baking.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until edges just begin to brown.
- Cool on a wire rack before decorating with chocolate or icing.
- We melted chocolate in a plastic baggie for 30-90 seconds, checking and turning at 15 second intervals. Then we snipped a corner, allowed to cool slightly, and then piped designs, adding pearl sprinkles for detail.